TC and I had a relaxing and wonderful 10 day vacation in Grand Cayman with his sister, her best friend, his mom, and his aunt and uncle. The condo was beautiful, right on Seven Mile Beach with an infinity pool, and a view of the ocean. Here are the highlights from our trip!
1. Our condo was next door to the fancy Ritz Carlton. We saw a lot of parties and weddings during the week at the Ritz, one even with fireworks over the ocean. I don't know if anyone watches Say Yes to the Dress on TLC, but I saw Randy from that show walking on the beach. He was at the Ritz for a wedding planning event. I was going to bug him for a picture but I felt bad.
2. Stingray city and snorkeling- I was really scared at first for this excursion but it ended up being a lot of fun. The snorkeling was a little difficult because I had never been before. I kept getting water in my tube. Stingray city is awesome. It is a sandbar in the middle of the ocean where they have domesticated the stingrays. They just swim around you so you can pet them and hold them.
3. We took a two hour guided kayak trip through the mangrove wetlands of the ocean. It was my first time kayaking too. We learned about the ecosystem of the mangrove wetlands. Our tour guide also found a starfish for us to hold and we saw jellyfish and iguanas.
4. There were some amazing restaurants on the island, most of them very expensive of course but we decided to splurge some of the nights. I had lots of fish which I love but don't make much of at home. My favorite restaurant was the Sunshine Suites Grill where they had the most delicious fish tacos. We went there two nights so I tried both the shrimp and the mahi mahi fish tacos. I wrote down the ingredients so I'm going to try to reinvent them here at home. I will probably dream about those tacos for the next few weeks.
5. The majority of the trip was spent in the pool, the ocean or on the beach reading and relaxing. This was my main purpose of the trip. The sand was so smooth and the ocean water was warm and so clear, you could see to the bottom.
6. There was an olympic qualifying swim race one afternoon. The finish line was at the Ritz next door so we were able to watch the swimmers finish.
7. We went to the turtle farm on our last day there and saw hundreds of full grown and baby turtles. We held some of the cute baby turtles.
8. The sunsets were beautiful the two or three nights that we could see them. Most of the nights were too cloudy to see them.
If you are looking for a vacation spot, I highly recommend Grand Cayman. I will definitely be returning soon!