Today is TC's 26th birthday! I can't believe he is 26! I asked TC what he wanted to do for his birthday, and he wanted me to make my chicken and noodles dish and stay home to watch our favorite Thursday night shows. We are going to celebrate again Saturday night with some friends and I'll be making a birthday cake for that celebration. Tonight though, I made delicious homemade brownies and homemade hot fudge sauce for his birthday sundae. I LOVE this brownie recipe. I can't remember where the recipe is from originally. I made them with my sister last year, wrote the recipe down and forgot to write the source. The hot fudge sauce recipe is my sister's and it is heavenly with vanilla ice cream and brownies. Looking forward to eating them tonight and watching The Office, Survivor and Grey's with the birthday boy! :)
Best Brownies Ever
Yields 24 2-inch brownies
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking powder
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate chopped fine
12 T. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into six 1 inch pieces
2 1/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 T. vanilla
1. Put rack in middle position; heat oven to 325. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk to combine flour, salt and baking powder in medium bowl.
3. Melt chocolate and butter in large heatproof bowl set over medium saucepan of almost-simmering water. When chocolate mixture is completely smooth; remove bowl from saucepan and gradually whisk in sugar. Add eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition until thoroughly combined. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, folding with rubber spatula until batter is completely smooth.
4. Smooth batter in pan. Bake until toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 30-35 minutes. Cool on wire rack about 2 hours, then remove by lifting foil overhang.
5. Sprinkle top of brownies with powdered sugar (optional)
Hot Fudge Sauce
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 c. margarine
2/3 c. sugar
1- 5 oz. can low-fat evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
In heavy small saucepan, melt chocolate and margarine. Add sugar. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently on low heat for 8 minutes. Stir often.